How to send records from your EndNote library for others to import into their EndNote libraries.
Export selected records:
(references and attached files)
1. Create a group for the records you want to share
2. Move the records into the group
3. On the EndNote Menu Bar, select File
4. Select Compressed library (.enlx)...
5. Select: Create,
then With file attachments,
then All references in group
6. Select a group from the menu
7. Click on OK/Next
8. On the Save As popup, name your file and select a location|
9. Click Save
Send the .enlx file to your classmates.
1. Open your EndNote library.
2. Open the file your classmate shared with you ( filename.enlx )
This will open as a separate EndNote Library
You can either:
3. Drag and drop the references from the shared EndNote Library into either a Group or a Reference list in your EndNote Library.
alternate 3. On the menu bar of your EndNote Library, click on File, then select Import
alt 3a: In the popup box:
Select (highlight) the .enl file you are importing from the list
(when you opened the .enlx file in step 2, it extracted an .enl file )
alt 3b. Next to Import Options: select EndNote Library
alt 3c. Click Import
The records and file attachments should now appear as Imported References
To save an Endnote library onto a flash drive, you need to compress several files.
• Open your Endnote library
• From the File menu, select Compressed library (.enlx) and then Create...
• Use the file dialog to save to an EndNote Compressed Library (filename.enlx). Make sure you save it to the flash drive.
To open the compressed Endnote library
• In EndNote, File > Open
• Choose the compressed library (.enlx) file from the flash drive. This will extract all the files associated with the library.
• Open the library (.enl) library.
Note: This should work across platforms (e.g. Mac and PC) for any libraries created using recent versions of EndNote.