Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Learn About Copyright



This page outlines California State University, Fresno's plan to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA).
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) includes provisions to reduce the illegal uploading and downloading of copyrighted works through peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing. Specifically, HEOA requires institutions to:
  • make an annual disclosure that informs students that the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials may subject them to criminal and civil penalties and describes the steps that institutions will take to detect and punish illegal distribution of copyrighted materials;
  • certify to the Secretary of Education that they have developed plans to "effectively combat" the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material including "the use of one or more technology-based deterrents";
  • offer alternatives to illegal file sharing to the extent practical;
  • identify procedures for periodically reviewing the effectiveness of the plans to combat the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials.

Annual Disclosure

California State University Fresno uses a wide variety of methods to inform students about copyright laws:
  • The library copyright information center provides information and guidelines of copyright laws and fair use to the campus community.
  • All students are required to adhere to the practices stated in the campus Acceptable Use Policy. The policy is included in theStudent Handbook posted on the University's website.
  • All residential students must also accept the terms stated in the ResNet Usage Policies which includes a section on copyright compliance.
  • Each year, the Office of Student Affairs sends out a memo to all students on copyright laws and campus policies related to violating copyright laws. The memo is also posted on the University website.

Plan to Effectively Combat P2P File sharing

California State University Fresno uses three technological measures to effectively combat P2P file sharing:
  • Bandwidth shaping
  • Traffic monitoring to identify the largest bandwidth users
  • A vigorous program of accepting and responding to Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notices. California State University' Fresno's policies and procedures concerning the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and our response to infringement claims are published on University's web site. If the University receives a complaint that a student user is redistributing copyrighted material that student will receive a cease and desist notification. If the University receives a second complaint about a student network user their Internet access will be disconnected and they will be referred to the Student Affairs disciplinary system for appropriate action. If the University receives a third complaint about a student network user, their Internet access will be disconnected until the Student Affairs disciplinarian contacts campus ITS to reinstate Internet service.

Alternative Online Sources for Copyrighted Materials

There are many legal sources for copyrighted material such as music and movies. They have a wide range of business models; some are free and some charge a nominal fee. The Motion Picture Association of America maintains an up-to-date and comprehensive compendia of legal sources. EDUCAUSE also maintains a list of legal sources for online music and videos. In addition, the following licensed resources are available to the campus community 'at the Henry Madden Library:
  • Naxos Music Library
  • Smithsonian Global Sound

Reviewing Effectiveness



The legal penalties for copyright infringement can include the following:
  • (1) The court can issue an injunction to stop the infringing acts.
  • (2) The infringer pays the actual dollar amount of damages and losses 17 USC 504(a)(1),
  • (3) The infrigner pays all profits made by the infringer 17 USC 504(a)(1)
  • (4) The law provides a range from $200 to $150,000 in Statutory Damages for each work infringed depnding on what the court feels is just 17 USC 504(a)(2), 17 USC 504(c)
  • (5) The infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs. 17 USC 505
  • (6) The Court can impound or order the destruction of the illegal works. 17 USC 503(a)
  • (7) If the infringer believed they were doing the right thing (that is, they believed they were covered by fair use or other exemptions) the court may fine as little as $200. 17 USC 504(c)(2) This section also applies to employees of non-profit educational institutions who are working in the scope of their employment. 17 USC 504(c)(2)(i)
  • (8) If the court finds the copyright violation was willful and for commercial advantage or private financial gain, the infringer can be jailed for up to five years and fined up to $250,000. 17 USC 506.


Permission from copyright holders is often needed when creating course materials, research papers, and Web sites. You need to obtain permission when you use a work in a way that infringes on the exclusive rights granted to a copyright holder, i.e., reproducing part or all of a copyrighted work outside the boundaries of acceptable fair use. The following is a step-by-step guide to aid you in planning strategies to obtain permission to use copyrighted works for educational purposes.

Top of Page Step 1: Determine if permission is needed for the work you want to use.

a) Is the material protected under copyright law? Remember some items (those in the public domain) are not protected by copyright, and may be used without permission from the copyright holder or payment of royalties. Knowing when a work was published or if legal requirements were met is helpful in determining if a work can be used without permission. SeeWhat types of works and information make up the public domain and Rules of thumb for public domain works.

b) Does the use fall outside the limits of fair use? After analyzing your specific situation by applying the four factors of fair use and concluding that your use is not fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. Common examples that require written permission from the copyright owner include: copying for commercial use, unpublished works, some specialized works such as illustrations, and consumable materials, such as workbooks or standardized tests. See the guideline from the 1996 Policy on the Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials for Teaching and Research, Copying Requiring Prior Written Permission from the Copyright Owner.

Assuming the work is copyright protected and your use does not meet fair use criteria, the next step is to identify the copyright owner.

Top of Page Step 2: Identify the copyright holder or agent.For print publications, generally the publisher is the owner of the copyrights and can grant permission for your use. Many publishers also have online copyright permission pages that can be used for this purpose. If the publisher is not the copyright owner, they can probably direct you to the copyright owner.

Depending on the work, permission may be required from more than one source. For example, if you wish to use a photo from a journal, the publisher may own the copyright for the photo but if the subject of the photo is a well known person, you may also need to obtain permission from the individual in the photo and the photographer.

For more information on locating copyright holders and services and agencies that grant permissions, see Guides for locating copyright holders and Services and agencies.

Top of Page Step 3: Send written request for permission to use. Remember to give yourself ample lead time, as the process for obtaining permissions can take months. Decide if you are willing to pay a licensing fee/royalty.

Your letter should include the exact material to be used, including title, author, and page numbers. Including a photocopy of the material is a good idea. Include the number of copies you wish to make, and the exact nature of the use, including how many times or how often the material will be used, the form of distribution, and whether the material will be sold. See the UC Policy and Guidelines on the Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials for Teaching and Research, Appendix 2, for more details.

For more information on writing letters of permission, see (from the UCOP Office of Technology Transfer) How do I use something legally? and Sample model permission letters from other universities that can be modified.

Top of Page Step 4: If the copyright holder can't be located or is unresponsive (or if you are unwilling to pay a license fee), be prepared to use a limited amount that qualifies for fair use, or use alternative material.

Top of Page Step 5: Consult others as needed.

Contact your OTT Campus Contact to locate the office on your campus that can assist you in obtaining permission and in any contractual negotiations, including payment of fees and royalties. Check your Campus Resources to find out where to go for more help.


Creative Commons is a nonprofit corporation dedicated to making it easier for people to share and build upon the work of others, consistent with the rules of copyright.