Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports
Overviews of food law topics.
The U.S. GAO oversees how tax dollars are spent, including overseeing levels of regulation and policy enforcement.
The FDA Law Blog, from Hyman, Phelps & McNamara, P.C.. Has an FDA Legislation Tracker: get the names and numbers of current bills.
Magnuson, B., I. Munro, P. Abbot, N. Baldwin, R. Lopez-Garcia, K. Ly, L. McGirr, A. Roberts, and S. Socolovsky. 2013. "Review of the regulation and safety assessment of food substances in various countries and jurisdictions." Food Additives And Contaminants: Part A -- Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure And Risk Assessment 30, no. 7: 1147-1220.
View the table of contents from the publisher here
• Alphabetically arranged entries describe topics related to the intersection of law and food
• An appendix offers examples of legislation, court cases, regulations, and international treaties related to food
• A timeline shows the development of the law of food in the United States
• A bibliography lists additional materials for reference
• Outlines the legal system and how it affects food and food policy
• Covers both U.S. and international legal influences on the food Americans eat
• Looks at lawsuits related to food, such as suits to ban soft drinks from schools and the question of whether an individual can sue a food manufacturer or restaurant for making them fat
From the publisher: The SAGE Encyclopedia of Food Issues explores the topic of food across multiple disciplines within the social sciences and related areas including business, consumerism, marketing, and environmentalism. In contrast to the existing reference works on the topic of food that tend to fall into the categories of cultural perspectives, this carefully balanced academic encyclopedia focuses on social and policy aspects of food production, safety, regulation, labeling, marketing, distribution, and consumption. A sampling of general topic areas covered includes Agriculture, Labor, Food Processing, Marketing and Advertising, Trade and Distribution, Retail and Shopping, Consumption, Food Ideologies, Food in Popular Media, Food Safety, Environment, Health, Government Policy, and Hunger and Poverty. This encyclopedia introduces students to the fascinating, and at times contentious, and ever-so-vital field involving food issues.
From the publisher: Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, Second Edition addresses important issues by examining topics of global agriculture and food systems that are key to understanding the challenges we face.
Complete list of newspaper databases from Fresno State Library, including the New York Times, The L.A. Times, and The Fresno Bee